In the world of ecommerce, it’s easy to think that someone will decide to buy your product solely because of the image. However, that’s often not the case. As ecommerce becomes a replacement for some brick and mortar sales, the entire customer experience needs to be kept in mind. As a retailer, give your shoppers all the information they need to make an informed purchase decision.
When it comes to product listings, it’s not just about the image. It’s about giving your customer a complete understanding of the product. It’s knowing the materials used, the dimensions, what the purpose of the product is, and all the things that you can’t tell just by looking at the product.
Detailed product descriptions will help your customers know what they’re purchasing, allowing for happy customers and fewer returns. Here are five tips to remember.
1. Actually have a product description! Ensure you have a product description that sells the product. There are way too many ecommerce sites that will simply repeat their product title as the product description. Use the product description space wisely.
2. Give the details! Talk about dimensions, materials, etc. Remember that shoppers cannot see your product in person, so they have no idea how big the product is. They don’t know if it’s made of 100% cotton or a polyester blend. They don’t know if it’s silver or platinum.
3. What is included with the product? Are batteries included? Is hardware included? Is everything pictured included? Make sure to include any details in your product description.
4. Talk about how the product is used. If it’s a children’s swing, talk about whether it should be hung from a tree or a swingset. What age range is it appropriate for?
5. Three words. Some Assembly Required. If you’re selling a product that needs to be assembled, let your customer know. Set expectations properly so customers know exactly what they are getting.
Follow these tips when writing or revising product descriptions. Your customers will be thrilled when they get their products delivered, as expected, and will come back to purchase from you again and again.
Looking for help with your ecommerce growth strategy? Contact us to see if we’re a good fit.